Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Froggatt waits to pounce

Pilgrims 4-1 Buxton

FA Cup

Boston United progressed into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup with a comfortable win over Unibond League side Buxton. The Pilgrims turned in a stylish performance to avoid what looked on paper to be a potential banana skin. Two early goals for the home side settled any nerves and apart from a brief period when Buxton reduced the deficit to a single goal, Boston never looked anything but winners. Boston took the lead in the 8th minute. A cross from Matt Bloomer was deflected goalwards by a Buxton defender, but their 'keeper Scott Hartley managed to parry the ball only for it to fall into the path of Kieron LEABON who clinically fired the ball into the bottom corner. A minute later Boston were two up. Matt O'Halloran was brought down in the area and the referee awarded the penalty. David GALBRAITH stepped up and slammed the ball home. Buxton got a goal back on 22 minutes when Mark REED deflected a cross by Steve Ridley into a gap between Boston 'keeper Lee Crockett and the left post after good approach play down the left. On the half hour Boston scored the goal of the match. Newly signed left back Adam Smith began a surging run down the left wing. A pass into Ashley Nicholls was then fed back to Smith who had continued his run and he then cut back and picked out Jon FROGGATT at the back post who headed the ball into an empty net. A few minutes before half time Stewart Talbot fell to the ground with a calf injury and was carried off on a stretcher. He was replaced by Mbiyeye Medine.

On 52 minutes Boston made sure of victory when Kieron LEABON got his second goal after getting on the end of a cross from the right by O'Halloran before turning and picking his spot. Crockett had to make a pair of superb saves in quick succession to deny Buxton. He pushed the first shot onto the post and then saved the follow up shot with a great block. Matt O'Halloran was replaced by Lee Thompson after picking up a knock. Adam Smith was rather unfortunate to be booked after his first late challenge of the match on 62 minutes. Tony Crane made a great goal-line clearance from the resulting free-kick. A cross from the right by Leabon fell nicely for Galbraith and his shot looked was heading towards the bottom right corner before being athletically saved by Hartley. The follow up shot was fired across the face of the goal by Leabon but there was noone there to apply the finishing touch. Liam Green replaced Galbraith in the 68th minute to complete the allowed substitutions. Lee Thompson wasted a great chance to score when a move by Froggatt and Nicholls opened up the Buxton defence, but Thompson fired well over. A minute from time Adam Smith hobbled off leaving Boston with just ten men, but it didn't matter as they cruised to the inevitable conclusion.

Boston United: Lee Crockett, Adam Smith, Matt Bloomer, Tony Crane, Paul Ellender, Stewart Talbot (Mbiyeye Medine 38), Ashley Nicholls, Matt O'Halloran (Lee Thompson 61), Jon Froggatt, Kieran Leabon, David Galbraith (Liam Green 68). Subs not used: Tom Matthews, Chris Wright.

Match report and photograph copyright © Ken Fox 2007.