Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Dick heads out

Pilgrims 1-1 Burton Albion

FA Cup

Boston United approached today's FA Cup encounter with some trepidation. Their opponents Burton Albion topped the Dr. Martens League and were unbeaten so far this season, including a 4-0 win against Boston in a challenge cup match. But at the end of the day it was Boston who will be feeeling the most disappointed with the result, a draw not being just reward for a game they dominated for long periods. The game started well for Boston. In the first five minutes they had two good chances to take the lead. First a penetrating cross from Wooding was just inches away from Rawle's head, then Paul Wilson fired a shot just over the bar. The Boston pressure paid off in the eighth minute when a long throw into the area fell nicely for Ken CHARLERY to power home. Burton now began their search for an equaliser. Good play put Burton's Darren Stride clear as he ran into the Boston area, but a last ditch deflection by Hoyle saved the day. Andrew Stanhope then fouled Burton's player / manager Nigel Clough on the edge of the area to give away a free kick, but it was a poor effort that was too high. Boston then began to show their Conference credentials by tearing apart the Burton defence almost at will. A long range curler from Stanhope was just too high. A perfect cross from Wooding found Mark Rawle, whose header was cleared at the last moment off the keeper's legs.

A visionary upfield pass by Daniel French then released Rawle, who shot across the face of the goal just wide of the right upright. On twenty two minutes Burton equalised. A cross from the right found Neil GLASSER unmarked just inside the area and he drilled his shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net. On the half hour French showed great control to knock on a clearance to put Rawle in space with just the keeper to beat. But once again Burton were saved by their keeper Matt Duke's legs. A nice piece of play by Stanhope on the right wing then allowed Wooding to curl a cross into the area that drifted close to the goal and had to be tipped over for a corner. From the corner, a glancing header by Charlery went over the bar. Charlery came close with his head again a few minutes later, this time following a cross from the left wing by French. The second half was dampened by the icy rain that began to fall. There was not a single memorable clear cut chance created by either side. The only moment of note was when a drop ball was lofted by Wilson towards the Burton keeper to return possession, and the keeper fumbled it and almost dropped the ball into his own net. So it's off to Eton Park for the replay next Tuesday, with the winners getting to meet Kidderminster away in the first round proper.

United team: 1. Bastock, 2. Wooding, 3. Lucas, 4. Hoyle, 5. Gowshall, 6. Wilson (Minett), 7. Stanhope (Fewings), 8. Charlery, 9. French, 10. Rawle, 11. Dick. Subs not used: Nuttell, Curtis, Martin.

Match report and photo by Ken Fox.