Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Nothing gets past Bazza

King's Lynn 0-0 Pilgrims

Dr Martens League

by Barbara Singleton

Goalkeeper Paul Bastock was the hero of the hour for newly crowned champions Boston United. Pilgrims' custodian remarkably saved two penalties in the first half of his teams Dr Marten's League clash at King's Lynn. His efforts went a long way towards ensuring United prised a point from a keenly contested premier division encounter. His first save came in the second minute when he pushed Gary Mills' spot kick onto the bar after Mickey Nuttell had handled while defending from a corner. Then in the 42nd minutes Bastock was at it again, saving Mark Turner's penalty with his legs after Colin Hoyle was adjudged to have pushed Jon Palmer. After the match, Bastock said: "It's unbelievable. I've saved single penalties on a few occasions before, but never two in one game. "There's always a bit of luck in facing up to spot kicks, but fortunately, I looked in both players eyes and guessed right." First half was only 55 seconds old when Bastock was called into action, making his first save with a sprawling dive to turn a Mills free kick around the post. The resulting corner by David Puttnam led to Lynn's first penalty. After that initial escape Boston got their game together and pressurised the home defence.

Shaun Keeble went close when connecting with a cross from Andrew Stanhope. In a fractious spell midway through the half Lynn had Puttnam and Tony Spearing booked. On 38 minutes more Boston pressure culminated in Paul Raynor drilling inches too high after good set up play. Lynn bounced back and an Emeka Nwadike header brought a good save from Bastock in the 40th minute. Two minutes later the United keeper covered himself in more glory with his second penalty stop to ensure the score line remained blank at the interval. In the second half there was a lengthy spell when Lynn had the territorial advantage. First Craig Clark put a header into the side netting following a deep cross by Puttnam. Then Palmer fired over after being set free by Puttnam. And in the 63rd minute home player boss Mills fired a drive at Bastock. In the dying moments Boston almost broke the deadlock, First on 83 minutes a Raynor chip looped up for Keeble to beat Martini, but the ball dropped wide. And then Raynor set up a chance for Stanhope, but his shot also went wide.

United team: 1. Paul Bastock, 2. Joby Gowshall, 3. Paul Wilson, 4. Colin Hoyle, 5. Peter Costello, 6. Craig Allardyce, 7. Andrew Stanhope, 8. Ian Stringfellow, 9. Mick Nuttell, 10. Shaun Keeble, 11. Paul Raynor, 12. Paul Watts, 14. Andy Lodge, 15. Adie Hayes.

This report originally appeared in the Lincolnshire Echo.

Photo by Colin Woodcock.