Home Results News Table Squad Statistics

Thompson, Leabon and Green celebrate Boston's 4th goal

Pilgrims 4-1 Hinckley United

FA Cup

Boston United progressed into the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with what eventually turned out to be a comfortable win against fellow Conference North side Hinckley United. Tommy Taylor didn't have many options going into this match. With Jon Froggatt out suspended, Jon Rowan out cup tied and Stewart Talbot out injured, the starting line-up almost picked itself. Jon Stevenson started up front against his old side and Lee Thompson earned himself a starting place after opening his scoring account for the season last week. Hinckley took a shock lead that stunned the York Street faithful in the opening minute. A free kick from the right was met by Richard LAVERY and his header looped over Lee Crockett into the net. Boston now raised their level of play as they searched for an equaliser and as long as they weren't hit with another sucker punch it would only be a matter of time before they got it. The time duly arrived in the 37th minute following a Boston corner. The ball was whipped across the area from the right where it found Kieron LEABON unmarked at the back post to fire the ball home. Boston totally dominated the second half.

They began to play very neat passing moves and the Hinckley defence began to crack under the pressure. Boston took the lead in 54th minute.Ashley Nicholls found himself in a great position but his shot was well blocked. The ball came back to him and he spotted LEABON at the back post and after forcing the ball through to him the striker notched up his second goal of the match with aplomb. Boston extended their lead in 65th minute when Stevenson was brought down in the area and the referee pointed to the spot. Tony CRANE did the honours with a powerful kick that gave the keeper no chance. Stevenson had picked up a slight knock in winning the penalty and was soon replaced by Tom Matthews. Matthews started the move that gave Boston their fourth and final goal in the 83rd minute. A Hinckley attack broke down and Matthews quickly broke forward down the right. A perfectly weighted pass then let Leabon speed past his marker who then crossed to an unmarked Lee THOMPSON who picked his spot before firing past the Hinckley keeper.

Boston United: Lee Crockett, Adam Smith, Matt Bloomer, Tony Crane (Matt O'Halloran 89), Paul Ellender, Ashley Nicholls, Mbiyeye Medine, Lee Thompson, Jon Stevenson (Tom Matthews 78), Kieran Leabon, David Galbraith (Liam Green 50). Subs not used: Chris Wright, Paul Alexander.

Match report and photograph copyright © Ken Fox 2007.